Overberg District Municipality: Severe Weather Event
Media statement (#OverbergWeather)
Operational period: 07/06/2017; 24.00 to 12.00
Report prepared by Overberg District Municipality,
Disaster Management Centre (Bredasdorp)
Mr Reinard Geldenhuys
The Disaster Management Centre activated at 06:00 to coordinate emergency services in the Overberg District within the following guidelines:
- Incident Priorities
o Provide for the safety and welfare of public and response personnel
o Maximize the protection of public health and welfare
o Ensure critical infrastructure remains stable
- Strategic Objectives
o Maintain situational awareness through a systematic and planned process for tasking, collecting, processing, analysing and disseminating information
o Manage a coordinated interagency response effort
o Inform the public, stakeholders and the media of response activities
o Support and coordinate any request for assistance
Summary of significant events:
- Total of 29 informal structures blown over or affected – ten (10) Botrivier; ten (10) Grabouw; three (3) Villiersdorp; six (6) Greyton; one (1) Genadendal and one (1) Hermanus. Displaced families cared for.
- Power disruptions reported for Villiersdorp and Hermanus (limited to Palmiet and Voëlklip).
- N2 temporarily closed due to debris and vehicle accidents – all clear now. Official report Sir Lowry’s Pass is open to traffic in both directions.
- A limited number of secondary roads temporarily closed due to fallen trees. Most of these are already cleared by the time of this report. Big thank you to the District Roads Department.
The Good news:
- One slight injury reported. No injuries sustained anywhere at this stage.
- All municipal structures reported limited flooding and all low water bridges are still open.
- All emergency services activated and adequately staffed.
We request the Media to distribute the following correct 24h emergency numbers:
Overstrand Municipal Area: 028 312 2400
Overberg District Municipality: 028 425 1690
- Merentia vd Vent (Radio Tygerberg)
- Annette Theron (Boland Media)
- Maxine Greeff (Smile FM)
- Carryn-Ann Nel (Die Burger)
- Yunus Kemp (Sunday Argus)
- Tessa van Staden (EWN)
- Roi Simpson (Heart FM)
- Martin Slabbert (HWB)
- Riana Steenkamp (Overstrand Comms)
- Sharon Brink (CFM)
End of statement