The OVERBERG DISTRICT MUNICIPALITY, with its Head Office in Bredasdorp and located in the Overberg region of the Western Cape, seeks a competent and visionary leader to head the Directorate Community Services. Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons with innovative and strategic thinking ability, strong communication skills and a quality and results-driven attitude.
DIRECTOR COMMUNITY SERVICES
A competitive remuneration package commensurate with experience and proven competence is on offer, plus a 7% remote allowance, the total remuneration package is excluding a performance-based bonus.
Total Remuneration package per annum
R1 040 327
As the Head of the Directorate: Community Services, the incumbent will assume overall responsibility for the strategic direction and leadership of the Department.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences/Public Administration/Law/other relevant equivalent qualification, registered on the National Qualifications Framework at NQF level 7 with a minimum of 360 credits.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience at middle management level.
- Have proven successful management experience in administration.
- Competencies as set out in the Local Government: Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers, GNR 21, GG 37245 dated 17 January 2014.
- Successful completion of all Unit Standards prescribed in Regulation 7 of the Municipal Minimum Competency Level Regulations, GNR 493, GG 29967 dated 15 June 2007, as amended by GNR 1146, GG 41996 dated 26 October 2018, alternatively completion of the prescribed Unit Standards within 18 months from date of appointment.
- Excellent facilitation and communications skills in at least two of the three official languages of the Western Cape.
- Adherence to Schedule 2 of the Local Government: Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers, GNR 21, GG 37245 dated 17 January 2014.
- A Code B driver’s license.
- Own transport.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of relevant policy and legislations.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of institutional governance systems.
- Well-developed competence in the realm of: People Management, Programme and Project Management, Financial Management, and Change Leadership.
- Sound knowledge of Local Government policies and legislation, institutional governance systems, audit, risk- and performance management processes.
- Knowledge of local government environment, excellent communication and negotiating skills at all levels of local government.
- Good skills in conflict resolution, problem solving and ability to be decisive.
Understanding of council operations and delegations of powers as well as knowledge to manage Municipal Health Services, Environment Management, Social Development, Emergency Services, Roads Services, LED, Tourism and Resorts.
Terms of appointment:
A permanent appointment (in terms of the Local Government: Municipal Systems Amendment Act, Act 3 of 2022), including the signing of an employment contract and performance agreement in terms of section 57 of the Municipal Systems Act, 2000, and declaration of financial interest.
The position is subject to:
Provision of contactable references and agreement to the municipality conducting personal credential verification, competency assessment, security vetting and reference checks.
All applicants must submit the prescribed application form for Senior Managers, (found on https://odm.org.za/resource-category/application-forms) together with a detailed CV, certified copies of original qualifications, ID document and driver’s licence, the names of three references from current and previous employers, including their current e-mail address, must be submitted to Mrs V. Zeeman, Director Corporate Services, via email to email@example.com. For any enquiries in this regard please contact the Municipal Manager, Mr R. Bosman, on 0284251157, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLOSING DATE: 19 SEPTEMBER 2022
- Overberg District Municipality is committed to Equal Opportunity. Candidates from designated groups, including those with disabilities, are encouraged to apply.
- It would be expected of candidates to be subjected to evaluations and that previous and current employers, as well as references, will be contacted. Verification will be done on qualifications, criminal and credit records, as well as security vetting. The candidate will be required to disclose all financial interests.
- Overberg District Municipality complies with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), Act 4 of 2013. Applicants agree that their personal information may be recorded and processed by the Municipality.
- The appointment will be done in accordance with the Regulation on the Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers.
- If no notification is received within 90 days, please regard your application as unsuccessful. The right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise is reserved by council.
Last published 02 September 2022