The OVERBERG DISTRICT MUNICIPALITY, with its Head Office in Bredasdorp and located in the Overberg region of the Western Cape, seeks a competent and strategic leader to head the Integrated Development Planning (IDP) and Communications Department in the Office of the Municipal Manager. Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons with innovative and strategic thinking ability, strong communications skills and a quality and results driven attitude.
HEAD: INTEGRATED DEVELOPMENT PLANNING (IDP) AND COMMUNICATIONS
The incumbent will assume overall responsibility for the Strategic Direction, Leadership and Management of the IDP and Communications Department.
- Appropriate Tertiary Qualification (NQF Level 7) - Degree in Public Administration / Development Studies / Public Management.
- Compliance with the Municipal Minimum Competency requirements, as laid down in Government Notice R493, dated 15 June 2007, or alternatively as per the exemption as laid down in the Government Gazette 40593, dated 3 February 2017.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in Integrated Development Planning or Strategic Management and Administration, at a strategic management level in the Local Government sector.
- Sound knowledge of Local Government policies and legislation, and institutional governance systems.
- Sound knowledge of integrated development planning- and public participation processes, as prescribed in the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act, 2000 (Act 32 of 2000).
- Language proficiency and excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills in at least two of the three official languages of the Western Cape.
- Code B Driver’s Licence.
- To effectively manage and direct the IDP and Communications Department, and accordingly report to the Municipal Manager.
- To develop an Integrated Development Plan for the Overberg District Municipality through the effective coordination and facilitation of intergovernmental relations and public participation.
- To develop a District IDP Framework- and Process Plan to provide direction and ensure alignment of planning processes between the Overberg District Municipality and Local Municipalities in the Overberg.
- Develop the District’s IDP in conjunction with Overberg Local Municipalities, the Western Cape Provincial Government, and internal and external stakeholders.
- Conduct secondary research on IDP-related activities and key government policies and directives that must align with the District’s IDP.
- Manage and facilitate IDP- and Communications-related intergovernmental relations and public participation structures.
- Participate and represent Overberg Local Municipalities at Provincial IDP-, Public Participation and Communications engagements.
- Engage and consult with Provincial Sector Departments on matters of a transversal nature that impact on the Overberg region as a whole.
- Manage the implementation of the IDP to ensure alignment and streamlining of activities in the region.
- Ensure alignment of Council Strategic Goals with Provincial and National Government strategic directives.
- Stay abreast of development in respect of Provincial and National Government IDP- and Communications-related prescripts and policies and provide guidance to Overberg Local Municipalities.
- Develop relevant Language and Communications policies.
- Ensure the development of a Communications Action Plan that is aligned to the IDP.
- Ensure the efficient development of Internal and External Newsletters and communications materials for distribution to stakeholders.
- Ensure the municipal website is regularly updated with credible and accurate information.
- Conduct performance- and risk management.
- Responsibility for the strategic and operational management of the IDP and Communications. Department.
REMUNERATION: T15: R499 188 – R647 916 (subject to TASK evaluation)
CLOSING DATE: 18 October 2021
APPLICATION FORMS AND FURTHER INFORMATION:
Application forms are available on the municipal website (www.odm.org.za) and at all ODM offices or can be requested from the Human Resources Department at 028 425 1157 during office hours.
Completed application forms and a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae, accompanied by an original certified copy of your Identity document and relevant qualification/s, must be submitted to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Please address all enquiries pertaining to this position to Mrs M. Dunn on the following contact details: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 0284251157. Incomplete and late applications, and applications with no proof of qualifications will not be considered or processed.
Note: Original certified proof of qualification/s and driver’s licence is a requirement for selection and must be attached to your application. Candidates who do not submit all the supporting documentation as requested, will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Overberg District Municipality is an Equal Opportunity employer. Candidates from designated groups are encouraged to apply.
If no notification is received within 90 days after the closing date, please regard your application as unsuccessful. The right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise is reserved. Canvassing will disqualify any candidate from being considered for appointment.
Disabled people are encouraged to apply.
Last published 04 October 2021