Applications for the R350 Social Relief of Distress grant are expected to open on Friday, 6 August 2021.
On Sunday, 25 July, Ramaphosa announced the reinstatement of the Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant to provide a monthly payment of R350 until the end of March 2022.
The eligibility criteria for the COVID-19 SRD grant, will be as follows:
A Social Relief of Distress Grant of R350 per month as indicated in the Directions is payable for the period indicated therein to a person who is —
- a South African Citizen, Permanent Resident or Refugee registered on the Home Affairs database and persons who are holders of special permits under the Special Angolan Dispensation, the Lesotho Exemption Permit dispensation and the Zimbabwe Exemption Permit Dispensation, and asylum seekers whose section 22 permits or visas are valid or were valid on 15 March 2020;
- Currently residing within the borders of the Republic of South Africa;
- above the age of 18 and below the age of 60;
- not receiving any social grant in respect of himself or herself;
- not receiving an unemployment insurance benefit and does not qualify to receive an unemployment insurance benefit;
- not receiving a stipend from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme and other financial aid;
- not receiving any other government COVID-19 response support; and
- not a resident in a government funded or subsidised institution.
Care givers who are not receiving any grant on their own behalf will also have to apply for the special Covid-19 Social Relief of Distress Grant.
Why it is important for people to re-apply.
- Firstly, that people’s circumstances may have changed over time;
- Secondly, in order to confirm clients’ personal details, and assess their income and financial status;
- Thirdly, applicants need to accept the declaration and consent, which has been strengthened to comply with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA); and
- In order to access or to have the application reconsidered for the Social Relief of Distress Grant, an applicant must grant consent for SASSA to verify his or her identity, residency, income or social security benefits with any other institution deemed necessary by SASSA.
How to apply for the Covid-19 R350 grant
All applications will therefore be again done electronic/digitally and any of the following frontline application channels may be used;
- Firstly, through the website at https://srd.sassa.gov.za;
- Through our WhatsApp line on 082 046 8553; or
- The USSD line *134*7737#
Please note that an application should be submitted through only one of the above channels – it is not necessary to submit multiple applications. Confirmation will be received as soon as the application has been successfully submitted.
Alternatively, visit the website at https://srd.sassa.gov.za/ for more info on how to apply.
Applications for the special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress grant are only electronic. If you need assistance to apply, SASSA staff and appointed volunteers can assist.
Last published 05 August 2021