The OVERBERG DISTRICT MUNICIPALITY, with its Head Office in Bredasdorp, located in the Overberg region of the Western Cape, seeks a competent and visionary leader to head the Directorate Community Services. Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons with innovative and strategic thinking ability, strong communication skills, and a quality and results-driven attitude.
DIRECTOR COMMUNITY SERVICES
A competitive remuneration package commensurate with experience and proven competence is on offer, plus a 7% remote allowance. The total remuneration package is excluding a performance-based bonus.
Annual Total Remuneration Package
(in terms of Government Gazette No. 47538 dated 18 November 2022)
As the Head of the Directorate: Community Services, the incumbent will assume overall responsibility for the strategic direction and leadership of the Department.
Terms of Appointment:
A permanent appointment (in terms of the Local Government: Municipal Systems Amendment Act, 2022 (Act 3 of 2022), published under Government Gazette No. 46740, dated 17 August 2022, including the signing of an employment contract and performance agreement in terms of section 57 of the Municipal Systems Act, 2000 (Act 32 of 2000), and declaration of financial interest.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences / Public Administration / Law / other relevant equivalent qualification, registered on the National Qualifications Framework at NQF level 7 with a minimum of 360 credits.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience at middle management level.
- Have proven successful management experience in administration.
- Competencies as set out in the Local Government: Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers, Government Gazette No. 37245, dated 17 January 2014.
- Successful completion of all Unit Standards prescribed in Regulation 7 of the Municipal Minimum Competency Level Regulations, Government Gazette No. 29967, dated 15 June 2007, as amended by Government Gazette No. 41996, dated 26 October 2018, alternatively completion of the prescribed Unit Standards within 18 months from date of appointment.
- Excellent facilitation and communications skills in at least two of the three official languages of the Western Cape.
- Adherence to Schedule 2 of the Local Government: Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers, Government Gazette No. 37245, dated 17 January 2014.
- A Code B driver’s licence.
- Own transport.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of relevant policy and legislation.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of institutional governance systems, audit, risk- and performance management processes.
- Well-developed core and leading competencies.
- Knowledge of local government environment, and excellent communication and negotiating skills at all levels of local government.
- Conflict resolution and problem-solving skills, and ability to be decisive.
- Moral Competence
- Planning and Organising
- Analysis and Innovation
- Knowledge and Information Management
- Results and Quality Focus
- Strategic Direction and Leadership
- People Management
- Program and Project Management
- Financial Management
- Change Leadership
- Governance Leadership
Understanding of council operations and delegations of powers, as well as the knowledge and ability to manage and provide strategic leadership to Municipal Health Services, Environmental Management Services, Roads Services, Emergency Services, Social Development, Local Economic Development, Tourism and Resorts.
Applications and Conditions of Appointment:
- Applicants must submit the prescribed ‘Application Form for Senior Management’ available on https://odm.org.za/resource-category/application-forms. No applications will be considered if it is not on the official Application Form.
- The application must be accompanied by a detailed CV, certified copies of original qualifications, identity document, driver’s licence, the names of three contactable references from current and previous employers, including their current e-mail addresses.
- The position is subject to an agreement that the municipality may conduct personal credential verification, verification of qualifications, competency assessment, security vetting, criminal and credit records, reference checks, and the disclosure of financial interests.
- Applications must be submitted to Ms V Zeeman, Director: Corporate Services, via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, applications may be hand-delivered in a clearly marked envelope, “Application for the position: Director: Community Services”, to the Overberg District Municipality, 26 Long Street, Bredasdorp. Please ensure acknowledgement of receipt of your application.
- For any enquiries regarding the position, please contact the Municipal Manager, Mr R Bosman, on 028 4251157, or e-mail: email@example.com.
- The Overberg District Municipality is committed to Equal Opportunity. Candidates from designated groups, including those with disabilities, are encouraged to apply.
- Overberg District Municipality complies with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), 2013 (Act 4 of 2013). Applicants agree that their personal information may be recorded and processed by the municipality.
- The appointment will be done in accordance with the Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers.
- If no notification is received within ninety (90) days, please regard your application as unsuccessful. The right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise is reserved by council.
CLOSING DATE: 15 MAY 2023
Mr RG BOSMAN
Last published 30 April 2023